Monday, August 3, 2009

Webinar

Well, I finally attended a webinar this weekend. As I mentioned on the class wiki, I participated in the Classroom 2.0 Live session called "How to Create a Great PowerPoint Without Breaking the Law". The archived session can be viewed here.

This session was my first foray into webinars and Elluminate. Because I was paranoid about having trouble, I watched a screencast about the features the night before. Logging in and getting set up was very simple. I found Elluminate very intutive and easy to navigate. It provided a very good platform for the session.

In regards to the content, it was pretty good. Having worked with PowerPoint quite a bit, some of the tricks I was already familiar with. There was a lot of information about ways to best draw in (and not lose) the attention of your audience. Working with mostly ADHD students, retaining attention is key to my success. The other focus of the presentation was copyright. Every time I've tried to hash out the copyright situation this summer, the same pattern has emerged. About half through, I have a moment of clarity where it all makes sense and by the end that clarity is a distant memory that has been clouded by what appears to be contradicting and confusing information. However, I do believe that each time I'm exposed to it, I pick up something new that sticks. The presenter did a little "is it legal or not" series of polls at the beginning and then explained the answers. These real world examples were very helpful for me.

Overall, it was a very good experience. I love that all this information can be so easily accessed now. I don't have to find the time to attend a seminar or be constrained by where something is taking place. From the comfort of my home (in my pajamas if I so choose) I can participate in a live session on topics that interest me. Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment